Agriculture has been, and continues to be, the economic cornerstone of Kandiyohi County. Our productive soils, diverse local marketing opportunities and supportive business climate provide the ideal "seedbed" for the agricultural industry.
Our Ag Statistics:
Below are statistics that set Kandiyohi County apart as one of Minnesota's most prolific agriculture communities:
- We are home to 1,286 diverse farming operations
- We had a 34% increase in overall farm products sold between 2002 and 2007
- Agriculture has an economic impact of $237.8 million in annual cash receipts*
- We are Minnesota's 4th largest county for overall ag production*
- We sell $309 million in farm products annually*
- We sell $194 million in livestock/poultry products annually*
- We are home to world's largest turkey processor/marketer – Jennie-O Turkey Store
- We are home to the world's largest turkey hatching company– Willmar Poultry Company
- We are Minnesota's 2nd largest county for livestock, with cash receipts of $147.9 million
- We are Minnesota's 17th largest county for crop cash receipts
- We are the nation's 4th largest county in turkey production and processing
- We provide 1,958 jobs and $60 million in annual wages related to ag processing
- We are home to one of the nation's largest two-year agriculture schools
Our Ag Future
Kandiyohi County has a long tradition of family farmers that have stayed ahead of the curve by strategically consolidating their assets and investing in technology in order to remain competitive in a global marketplace. Many of our agriculture leaders have diversified into a variety of up-and-coming niche markets such as ag-based renewables and crops-derived nutriceuticals.
Our Ag Resources
The Kandiyohi County and City of Willmar Economic Development Commission works hard to nurture and support the agribusiness community. In fact, we have an extremely active Agriculture & Renewable Energy Development Committee. Their mission is "to sustain, identify and develop agriculture, agribusiness and renewable energy opportunities." For more information, go to the committee page.
* According to the Minnesota Agricultural Statistic Services